Sunday, August 11, 2013

Calgary Dragon Boat Festival 2013

This weekend marks another year for the Calgary Dragon Boat Society!


Funny enough, in the 11 or so years I have lived in Calgary I have never once been to this festival. Now, finally, I was able to come out and support my boyfriend and his rec team as they competed in the Dragon Boat Race!



There was an assortment of teams from recreational to corporate and even pro competitors. It was, needless to say, exciting to watch the races and to be honest it really makes me want to give it a go next year. I have a fondness/love for water sports and yet the only water sport I've ever actually competed in is speed swimming. Now I'm making a pact with myself in order to make sure that I get out there and get more involved! ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

Finally, I just wanted to share a couple of other small highlights from the festival. What I really enjoy when watching any sort of competitive sporting event is the display of camaraderie between fellow athletes. It always gives me this warm fuzzy feeling and always leads to that awkward idiotic smile on my face.

At the end of a heat, one of the fives teams lined themselves up along the docks and gave high fives to everyone else that was part of that heat. High fives may not seem like a big deal, but to me it was a great show of encouragement, and sportsmanship. It's the little things that make a big difference!


Last but not least, my one other highlight was the Dragon Dance! I thoroughly enjoyed watching the performance with its colorful and lively costumes as well as the intricate dance moves that bring the dragons to life! =]


Overall I had a really good time and I was glad to be able to come out and support Kev and his team! Funny how I was made into the "unofficial" photographer for the day! ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

All photos were taken by me! ©

No comments:

Post a Comment