Sunday, January 26, 2014

2014, A New Year, A New Chapter

What's up Blogger and to all others actually monitoring my blog, should there be any?!

I realize that a "new year's" blog post would have been a bit more appropriate during the beginning of this month, but hey as they say, "Better late than never!", right?

In any case, I cannot believe that the month of January is already coming to an end and that my birthday is in about a week. (LOL I actually almost forgot about my birthday. Hurrderp, I'm going to be another year older. *le gasp* Okay, that's for an entirely separate blog post, so let's leave it at that). So I seem to be a little bit more random than usual so I may go off on little tangents here and there. I'll try not to but mind you, in the speaking world that's a norm for me.

Okay, moving on to the actual point of my post... Wait I had a point? Just kidding of course I do!

So again as I already said, I cannot believe that this month has gone by so fast! I have to say, 2013 is definitely a year to remember; at least for me personally. Overall, 2013 brought a truck load of unforgettable experiences

So just to name a few, in 2013...: (´・ω・)ノ
(1) I went to [ Tokyo, Japan ]
(2) I went to [ San Francisco, California ]
(3) I went to [ Atlanta, Georgia ]
(4) I went to Atlanta to present a poster publication on my research project that was accepted into IEEE Vis Conference 2013
(5) I celebrated my second year anniversary with my boyfriend Kev ♪(๑ᴖ◡ᴖ๑)♪
So even though I only really listed some of the few good things that happened to me last year. I also had a handful of obstacles and hardships. Albeit they were negative experiences, I wouldn't have had it any other way. There were many things that I learned about myself and the world around me through these experiences, both good and bad. Everything that happened, everything that was thrown my way, both good and bad, are now a part of who I am today and all I can really say is:

Thank you 2013!

As for a NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION... Well, to be perfectly honest I had a long list of resolutions I could have picked from. Instead I chose something simple and yet I think it holds a lot of meaning in so variety of ways. So my new year's resolution ended up being:

"Be Yourself"

Yes, I do realize that it sounds terribly cheesy but hear me out. I actually came to this conclusion with the help of an article I found called Forget About Creating a New You: Just Be Yourself.

Personally, I found it rather inspiring, as corny and cliche as it sounds. Basically, this article talked about new year's resolutions and empowering oneself. As we are today, we are all inclined to answer to the call of improvement or betterment of self. A lot of the things we chose to do or not to do are all in part of wanting/needing to "improve" one's self. As a society we don't seem to ever be happy or content with who we are or at least we don't seem to genuinely appreciate who we are. As the article itself states, being yourself takes courage. It was these words in particular that really struck a chord with me. Since I was a child, I had never been the kind of individual with a lot of self confidence. If anything I sorely lacked confidence in myself, and had (still kinda have) low self-esteem. I never truly really appreciated myself for who I was/am.

Now, I'm a big advocate for change, but sometimes change is not what it's all about. Upon further reflection, I quickly realized that many, but not all, of my past negative experiences were all in part a result of my lack of self confidence, my lack of love for myself. So instead of opting for a resolution that I believe would have helped changed my into a better person, I resolved to be myself; to love myself for who I really am.

About a month into this year, it's already proving a challenge. It's especially hard to accept yourself when you're filled with doubts and countless obstacles are thrown your way, but I'm working on it. And I honestly think this will be an ongoing personal "project". Choosing to love yourself shouldn't be limited. The way I see it, it's a life long journey. So I'll just take it day by day.

So this is more for my own curiosity: My question for you is what was your most memorable experience in 2013? And what is your new year's resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment