Monday, August 26, 2013

Global Fest: A Festival of Fireworks

GlobalFest is much more than just fireworks. It is a festival that brings together and showcases Calgary's cultural diversity through a night market, the "OneWorld Cafe and International Bar", a variety of cultural pavilions and food stalls, a multitude of cultural performances from performing groups across the city, and a friendly international fireworks competition. This year's fireworks displays are from teams China, France, Great Britain, and the USA!



Unfortunately I wasn't able to go to all five nights (one for each country plus the finale), but I was able to go to China (opening day) and "Canada" (the grande finale)! Sadly, according to some friends and my brother, I missed the best display from the USA, who actually won People's Choice. Meanwhile there was also France, who won via the judges panel. Next year, I'm definitely going to have to get the full pass so I can watch them all!



Aside from watching the fireworks I, along with Kev and some friends, were able to try some of the cultural foods that were available such as Brazilian BBQ, Fiji & the Pacific Islands, Filipino, Vietnamese, Ukrainian, Quebecois delicacies and much more! My favorite by far was the Brazilian BBQ. Although. to be honest I'm not particularly sure if that was only because I had been having a massive craving for BBQ for the entirety of last week. Either way, I very much enjoyed the nicely cooked meat along with the powdery dip (which I unfortunately didn't get to ask what it was) and the olive oil & spices dip.


In addition we were also able to watch a few of the cultural performances. Unfortunately I didn't a chance to get any nice shots. I only have my trusty iPhone with me but from where we were sitting it was hard to get a decent quality shot much less a nice one. Definitely remembering to bring my SLR next time! (⌒▽⌒)☆


Well, until next year!

TTFN! Ta-Ta for Now! ヾ(^∇^)

No comments:

Post a Comment